Renting a home

Rental Agreement

As a tenant in Denmark, you will sign an agreement for the lease as will the landlord. The agreement will state rent, price, price adjustments, prepaid utility estimates for heat and water, deposit, size of the accommodation and other items relevant to the lease. Rent is paid in advance.

For examples of standard rental agreements, visit the Housing Foundation at KU.


It is common to pay a deposit when renting accommodation in Denmark. The deposit often corresponds to 3-months of rent which is paid with or ahead of the first month’s rent. In some cases, the deposit can be as high as 6-months rent.

You are expected to leave the apartment in the same condition as received (e.g. if the apartment was newly painted you will be expected to hand over a newly painted apartment, etc.). When leaving the apartment, your deposit should be returned if you hand over the apartment in the same state as when you moved-in. However expect the landlord to use your deposit IF they need to repair any damages to the apartment made by you.

In some cases the deposit will be called indskud (in Danish) instead of depositum (in Danish). The only difference is that the indskud deposit will be calculated as a percentage of the value of the building, where a depositum is equal to 3-months rent.



Normally, your pay a prepayment of estimated utilities together with the rent to cover heat and water usage, however some utilities costs are paid alongside the rent.

Normally, the utilities, such as electricity, gas, and water supply, will have already been turned-on when you move into a rental property. However, please be aware that if the utilities have not been turned-on, you will need to contact the utility companies and subscribe to the utilities yourself.


Housing Support (boligstøtte)

If you live in a rented home, you may be eligible to apply for housing support through Udbetaling Denmark. This financial support is calculated based on variables such as your income, family size and rental costs.
It is recommended that you contact Udbetaling Danmark directly to enquire about your eligibility before applying. If eligible, you can apply at by using NemID.
Udbetaling Danmark
Contact: +45 7012 8063 /


Advice for tenants - moving into or leaving an apartment

The tenant associations usually provide the below advice for tenants moving into or leaving an apartment.

  • Inform the landlord in writing of any defects in the apartment within 14 days after signing the lease. You can ask the landlord to sign the list of defects and keep a copy for yourself, so as to not risk paying for these defects when moving out. For example, defects can include stains, broken or worn floors, defects or holes in the walls, defects in painting, broken windows, etc. It can be a good idea to take photos of the apartment when both moving in and out, to document the condition of the apartment. Make sure to have someone validate the photos with a date and signature
  • When leaving the apartment, make sure to give your notice in writing.
  • Leave your new address with the landlord when moving out of the apartment, so that your utility bills can be adjusted when they are calculated.
  • You have the right to a report from the landlord stating the condition of the apartment at the time that you handed it over, no later than 14 days after moving out. Do not sign the report if you do not agree with its description of the state in which you left the apartment.
  • Reach out to the Rental Board if you disagree on the conditions and return of the deposit when moving out of the apartment


Tenant advisers

If you need help with looking through your rental contact before signing, you have the option to seek information and advice in a tenant association. You can also use a tenant association as a sparring partner to find out if you are paying a fair rent, to find out if you are being treated fairly by a landlord or if you need help to complain to the Rental Board.

The tenant associations provide advice to tenants and prospective tenants. Please be aware that the tenant associations require a membership fee if they agree to help you with your case. Member fees can range from 200 DKK to 800 DKK per year, depending on whether they offer help with individual cases and depending on the length of your membership.
In Esbjerg, you will find two tenant associations. Contact the associations directly to find out more.
LLO can be reached by phone on: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10am – 1pm or in person on Tuesdays from 3pm – 5pm. 
Address: Jyllandsgade 19 st., 6700 Esbjerg, +45 7199 44 14,
Visit the website of LLO 

Aktive lejere

Address: Hermodsvej 13, 6705 Esbjerg Ø,  +45 4035 1030
Visit the website of Aktive lejere

Rental Complaint Boards

If there is a conflict between a tenant and the property owner, one can turn to the Tenant Complaint Board or Rental Board.
The Tenant Complaint Board

The Tenant Complaint Board can be used to settle a dispute between a housing associations and a tenant. They do, however, not handle complaints to settle a dispute about the price. 

Visit website 

The Rental Board (huslejenævnet) is used for conflicts with private landlord or private rental agencies.
The Rental board can, for example, be used if a tenant wishes to complain or settle a dispute about the price set for rent or the maintenance or condition of an apartment, etc.

If you wish to take your case to the Rental Board, it must be in writing. The letter must include: 

  • a description of the disagreement
  • a statement about what you want the Rental Board to make a decision about
  • a copy of the rental agreement and any other relevant documents
  • a copy of any correspondence that has occurred between the parties in relation to the disagreement up until now.

Be aware that before submitting a case to the board, you are expected to contact your landlord or rental agency directly to attempt to resolve the matter, and if you submit a case to the board, you are expected to include a copy of theses correspondences, if possible.

Please note that a small fee applies. 

You can deliver your letter in person during office hours or send it by email or mail to the address below. 

Huslejenævnet (Rental Board)
Esbjerg Rådhus, Torvegade 74
6700 Esbjerg
Tel. 76 16 12 16 (during office hours)

Office Hours:
Tuesday to Friday 9AM – 1PM

The fee can be paid to Esbjerg Municipality

  • via bank transfer to Nordea A/S, Reg. Nr. 2540, Kontonr. 644 88 66 864
  • to Esbjerg Municipality’s girokonto 3 01 07 16
  • by sending a check to Huslejenævnet
  • by contacting the office during opening hours

When you pay, remember to include a reference (if possible a reference number).

Where do I find a rental?

You can find a list of rental agencies, rental housing associations and private landlords at this sub-page. 

See list

Nice to know

In Danish, addresses for apartments usually include street name, number, floor and direction (left, right or centre).

For example, an apartment with the address Kongensgade 100, 2. th. means that the apartment is located on the 2nd floor to the right of the landing in building number 100 at the street called Kongensgade.