Immigration non-EU

Where to Apply

You can apply for a residence and work permit at the Danish embassy or consulate in your home country.

If you are legally residing in Denmark, you can send an application to the Danish Immigration Service. Expect eight weeks of processing time, in some cases more.

How to Apply

You will be asked to submit a completed application corresponding to the type of permit you are pursuing. Find an overview of forms and individual forms online here.

If you are relocating due to a contract of employment in Denmark, your employer will typically complete the first part of the application before you receive the form.

Accompanying Family Members
Immediate family members (partner & children under the age of 21) of non-EU citizens working in Denmark may join you if you have a work and residence permit, and if you can financially provide for them, or if they are self–supporting. Family members must apply for a registration certificate if they are EU citizens/EEA nationals or for a residence permit if they are third-country nationals.

Processing Fee 
A processing fee will normally need to be paid when a foreign citizen applies for a residence permit, an extension of a residence permit and for a permanent residence permit in the areas of work, studies and family reunification.
Read more about fees at New to Denmark.

Residence qualifications

The Positive List/ Positivlisten
If your job skills are on the list of professions with shortage of qualified labour in Denmark, you can apply for a residence and work permit.
You can see the list at New to Denmark.

The pay limit scheme 
If you have a contract of employment with a minimum salary of 380,000 DKK per year.

The corporate scheme
If you are working for an overseas company with operations in Denmark, you can apply for a corporate residence permit for a fixed period of time.

If you qualify as a researcher according to the OECD definition, you can apply for a residence and work permit.

If you are self-employed you may, under certain circumstances, be eligible to operate an independent business in Denmark.

Special groups of foreigners 
Some foreigners, e.g. diplomats, certain musicians and entertainers, people employed in the transportation sector and certain Turkish nationals, are exempt from the normal regulations.

Permanent residence
You can apply for permanent residence in Denmark after five years of uninterrupted legal residence in the country.

More Information