Childcare

There are numerous options for quality childcare in Esbjerg Municipality where there is also a care guarantee. So if you have just arrived or are on your way here, it is a good idea to enroll your children for childcare.
 

You are permitted to enroll your children on the childcare waiting list before you actually move here. We recommend to everyone that they do so once upon reaching the decision to move here. The date of enrollment is what determines the position on the waiting list.


Care guarantee for newcomers

As newcomers, you are guaranteed a place no later than one month after the enrollment date if you require one (but not before your relocation has been electronically registered).


When making your application for childcare, choose the district you prefer, for example either near your home or place of employment. You can see the various districts below:



Esbjerg Municipality is divided into four “guarantee” districts (marked with four colors) which apply if you require care in accordance with our guarantee.

 

 

Watch a movie about day cares in Esbjerg - you find English subtitels in "settings"

 


Search on our dynamic map

This dynamic map presents an overview of the enrollment districts, guarantee districts and the location of both private and municipal care provisions.
You can use the search field at the top right-hand side to type in your address or search for specific schools. If you click on the “i” in the top menu, you can click on the circles that indicate the institutions and read more about them.

If you want to see a map that displays both schools and childcare, you will find it here.


Do you not yet know where you are going to live?

Normally, you can only enroll to a single enrollment district. However, if you do not yet know where you will end up living because you are a newcomer to the area, you can also receive dispensation to enroll in multiple districts. To take advantage of this option, you need to write a comment about it in the “notes” field when enrolling electronically.
 

Day-carers

If you would like your child to be cared for by a day-carer, you will also need to enroll your child electronically. You can read more about day-carers in Esbjerg Municipality here.


Private childcare

There are also several private crèches and kindergartens in Esbjerg Municipality. Should you wish to enroll your children at one of these, you should contact the institutions directly. The same also applies for childcare by private childminders who have been authorized by the municipality. The list can be found here.
 

Avoid paying double

In order to avoid having to pay for two places, you need to remember to cancel your child’s registration for a place that it may have in the municipality you are leaving. You can apply at your current municipality for a subsidised place by contacting the municipality where you currently reside.

Childcare in Esbjerg

About childcare in Denmark

In Denmark, children in the age of 6 months to the age of 2 to 3 years are cared for in either a day care or by a private childminder who works at home (hired by the municipality). 
 
Children aged 3- 5 to 6 attend kindergarten. Some day cares and kindergartens are housed at the same location, which enables children to remain in the same facility during their entire period.
 
The municipality of Esbjerg will as a minimum pay 75% for the costs for child daycare, leaving you to pay up to 25%. You will receive a sibling discount if you have more than one child. You only pay half price for your second child.

Contact Diana

Contact Diana

If you have any questions, please contact

Diana Dahl  Jørgensen    
+45 7616 1840  
didj@esbjergkommune.dk​

Enroll here

You can enroll your children for childcare online at Min Pladsanvisning (in Danish). 

More information

At the website of Esbjerg Municipality you can find more information and an extensive FAQ (in Danish)

Find a babysitter

Newcomer Service and the student job consultants at Esbjerg Jobcenter can help you find a babysitter.

Find babysitter

Accept cookies from this site

This website uses cookies to track your behavior and to improve your experience on the site
You can always delete saved cookies by visiting the advanced settings of your browser

Do not accept cookies Only accept functional cookies Accept all cookies